Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Confessions

For well over 13 years I wrote and published Scandinavia's largest rock blog, it was discontinued the fall of 2018, and I have to confess that I do miss writing those music articles sometimes. So, how would you as a reader here feel about me writing an occasional music story in addition to all image posts?

Let's consider this such a story as I make my second confession of the day.

In the late 1970's, circa 1979, when I was very much into hard rock and metal (still am) a young trio of siblings with the last name of Knauer came along and I have to confess to having a major crush on the singer of the band, The Promises. A crush I still haven't recovered from actually and it has been a true pleasure following her career still holding a place for her in my heart. Yep, she's still going strong at the age of 62 and is as lovely as ever.


The band at the time, The Promises, only released two albums, the self titled debut album "Promises" in 1978 and "Real to Real" in 1980. The highest climbing song was "Baby It's You" from the debut that reached top 10 placement in several countries. In New Zeeland it peaked at #1 and in Australia at #2 while in the US, their home market, it weren't released at, neither the singles nor the albums were, which makes you wonder what the record label executives are thinking when they clearly have a marketable and sellable product they won't market and sell.



At the time, back in the 70's, the crush could possibly be accredited to me being a hormonal teen, the genre of their music was in no way, shape or form my music. However, coming of age and becoming more knowledgeable in music I have realized that although that first hit song was pop music it is written as a rock song and this may very well be why she caught my attention and also have remained with me through the years. Or it could have been her amazing pair of... Eyes... (Get your mind out of the gutter.)

Later she has been singer in several bands and kind of caught up with me in the genres singing in Precious Metal, she also is or has been a member of Kanary and Sunset Junction Band.

Two videos to enjoy, that first ever experienced song and a solo number she released in 2015.



No comments:

Post a Comment