Saturday, February 29, 2020

Return on investment

As always there were some ignorant comments on various social media on the previous post "Signed first press". Are people really that clueless when it comes to value of old things? Why bother browsing through ancient vinyls? Well, here's an example.

On one occasion I found two really early vinyl albums, LP:s, at a second hand shop. One was released 1960 and the other one 1954. For those I paid 40 SEK (4 USD) together and when I got home I went online to check if there was any value in them. One I found at Discogs and the value of that one landed at 200 SEK (21 USD). The other one however I had to go to auction house listings to find as it turned out to be a really rare edition and eventually I found out that the value of this one was a whopping 600 SEK (63 USD).

So the value of just these two items was 800 SEK (83 USD) and I paid 40 SEK (4 USD). The return on my investment would be 2,000 percent for just carrying them home should I have sold them right there and then at list prices. Now you tell me, why bother?



No comments:

Post a Comment