Sunday, September 20, 2020

Bonsai

Living inland as I do these days in the middle of Sweden there are two things I miss more than anything else from my home town of Karlskrona in the south, the ocean and the archipelago. Just to get something that at least reminded me of that region I made a little installation with some water polished stones (called sea stones in Swedish, "sjösten"), some driftwood and couple of small Coleus plants of the variety Tidbits Tammy which looks very much like some wild plants that can be found by the rocky beaches where I grew up.

It didn't take more than a quarter of an hour after posting images of the installation at Facebook when som nut had to "piss" on it suggesting that I should ditch the Coleus plants and do bonsai. First of all, what the hell does Japanese miniature trees have to do with Swedish archipelagos?

Anywho, this actually per definition is a bonsai. Splitting up the Japanese word into it's components, "bon" means bowl and "sai" means plant so a bonsai is a "bowl plant" and that's exactly what the installation is.




No comments:

Post a Comment